It was one of these late spring days just like any other. The sun was still warm and most of the Beasts where laying around in the most cozy corners of the Giant forest. However, when that old glass bottle washed up on the Shore of Sapphire Lake everyone shivered because of the message it conveyed:
Everyone in danger! They took us. So cold... Help!
No Beast has left the forest since the last King of the South was overthrown a very long time ago. But now a great adventure will start which will be remembered by many generations to come.
Hybrid Beasts is a unique cross-genre game where you explore an open world full of adventures, quests and secrets. During your travels, you compete with teams of never before seen creatures in explosive and yet strategic turn-based battles to conquer and defend the regions of the world you just discovered.
- The large and open world in Hybrid Beasts can be explored freely. Starting in the lush forest, you can travel in any direction be it towards frozen glaziers, arid deserts or volcanic landscapes.
- Many mystic places, however, at first are either locked or hidden and you will need to follow complex storylines and solve quests to unveil all the secrets and lore of the land.
- For each newly explored level, the Beasts battle to decide who will be the first conquerer of this uncharted land. The victorious new ruler must then (as always) fear being overturned in later battles. However, he can conquer more of the surrounding levels to fortify and defend his reign.
- Beasts can even seize prestigious titles as “King of the Forest” that will prove helpful given the tale of an ancient legend which states: “...only a true king can reassemble the Arcane Rainbow Crystal”.
Image: Preliminary world map in Hybrid Beasts (Particle effects disabled)
- Local (couch) multiplayer for 2-6 players
- Many original and rarely seen weapons such as: huge lasers, sticky mines, weaponized animals like flying fishes or armored armadillos, glue cannons, ice spells, shields, voodoo dolls, scuba gear, time travel, pet cemetery, Pandora's box, invisibility potion and many more.
- More common weaponry include shotguns, rockets, grenades, rope and jetpack.
- Power-Ups for instance Double Damage or Super Jump impact gameplay.
- Random events such as asteroid impacts, earthquakes, blizzards or even alien invasions make battles more exciting.
- Choose from many different and devastating endgame modes; for example Genesis flood and Volcanic eruption.
- World regions drastically impact gameplay. For example, in a forest, you can dive into the clear water; whereas, in colder regions, the water is frozen to a solid block of ice that can be walked on. Near the volcano, on the other hand, the water has been vaporized by molten lava that immediately kills any beast that touches it.
- All of the more than 60 landscapes and battlefields are handcrafted and designed with strategies and deceitful ambushes in mind. The possibility to randomly generate battlefields is also included.
Image: Weapons and Items in Hybrid Beasts (more to come)
- Platforms: Windows, Linux, Mac (later also Last- and Current-Gen consoles)
- Languages: English, Spanish, German (Others if there is demand)
- Expected release dates: Early access: 2019 // Launch: 2020
- Distribution: Steam (Game is greenlit), GOG, HumbleWidget (here) and more to come.
- Steam-Achievements will be included.
- Hybrid Beasts is developed using FNA for multi-platform support and cross-platform multiplayer.
- DRM free
- Hybrid Beasts has been developed to allow for extensions of all major game elements. Expect new battlefields, random events, power-ups, endgame modes, quests and weapons to be added regularly.
- In Hybrid Beasts, you will meet many never before seen creatures for instance wise rabbit-squirrels, deadly panda-porcupines and packs of cunning fox-boars.
- However, recently some of the beasts mysteriously disappeared and it is up to you to unveil what happened to them.
Image: Selection of beasts in Hybrid Beasts
- Most game elements can be customized and even be completely excluded from battles. For example, players can adjust the damage-dealing power and probability of occurrence for most weapons, items, power-ups, random events and endgame modes. This way everyone can adapt the game as he or she prefers.
- Additionally, you can choose from a large number of items to wear including hats, body wear and feet wear often available in different color variants to customize the look of your team. Some of these items, such as the infamous Golden Armor of Antioch, must first be discovered through complex quests.
Image: Selection of body wear in Hybrid Beasts
- In Hybrid Beasts, the world is subdivided in 5 regions and more than 60 levels. In the beginning, around 40 levels are unlocked and can be freely travelled to. You always start the game in the lush forest in the lower left corner of the world map and then make your way in any direction you want. Playing a certain level gives you access to all its unlocked neighboring levels in the next round. During your travels, however, you will come across a number of levels that are locked, unknown or even well hidden. To play those levels, you must first discover and unlock them by following complex storylines and completing quests.
- Dynamic story system
Hybrid Beasts implements a dynamic and versatile system for storylines. There are always multiple storylines that you can independently follow so in case you get stuck with solving one you can always try to advance another. Additionally, the game recognizes you probably being stuck and actively helps you out with inconspicuously letting you stumble upon further hints ;-).
Storylines consist of multiple quests that are usually completed in a fixed order. In the following, let us give you one example of the beginning of one of the storylines without too many spoilers...
- Below the falling water
After you start the game and decide to move in the direction of the eastern Skull Desert, you will come across the levels Hush meadows, Flower Hills and Stone Bridge. Playing Stone Bridge there is a good chance to meet an old and wise beast that will tell you of a mysterious key that he had lost crossing the ancient stone bridge. First you think the old beast is a bit confused because what he tells you is rather unbelievable
but after a while you think: What the heck, let's look for the key! After finding a way to breathe underwater and some serious digging deep into the ground below that old bridge, you actually find the Misty Key. But could the story of the old beast really be true? Now you have to find out! You go look for that small silver keyhole that the old beast mentioned which indeed unlocks the Waterfall level. You suddenly realize that now you could continue your search for the Frozen Key that is rumored to unlock the Stairs to the Iceland because interestingly a torn scroll in a bottle message that you found earlier in the Ocean Beach level reads "the cold key is hidden below the falling water" ...
- In Hybrid Beasts, the first battle in every newly unlocked level decides which team of beasts becomes the first ruler of this level. From there on the ruling team must defend its reign but is also granted various advantages in coming battles. Being the ruler of a certain level may for example give you more life energy or other strategic edges like defensive buildings that the ruling team can occupy and use. However, should an enemy team ever be able to win a battle in that level, it will become its new ruler.
- In the long run, teams strife to rule larger and connected territories, for example whole regions such as the entire desert region to get access to further advantages. For example, the team that currently rules all desert region levels will not only wear
the shiny "Silver Desert Crown" but will also get access to the infamous “Yellow Fog of Death” weapon that only the desert king can use. The final goal is of course to obtain the “Emperor crown” by conquering and ruling every corner of the world.
- From a game design perspective, this setup adds significant long term motivation and replay value to the game because even if all storylines and quests have long been completed, players still want to play Hybrid Beasts to finally conquer that last level missing to finally seize power in the entire north to get the “Crown of the North” - and who doesn’t want to be “King of the North”? ;-)
Image: Illustration of "level ruling" feature in Hybrid Beasts.
* * *
If you have any questions about Hybrid Beasts, please do not hesitate to contact us!